Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Being a tourist

My last two weeks were spent visiting friends and family in the US. It was awesome! 

I lived in NY for most of my life and make it a point to visit at least once a year. You can compare it to recharging my batteries. I always know when it's time to go home. It is usually when I start having flashbacks of places I used to walk or hang out or even foods I love and can't get here (hi mom!). 

I didn't spend the entire time in NY though. I broke it up by visiting my lovely cousin, her hubby and their absolute cutie of a son in Minnesota. She and I spent the days walking around the shops, eating yummy food, and watching chick flicks. I had an amazing time!
I then returned back to NY and spent it with my boy who came for the second week. Some highlights included having diner breakfasts, catch ups over sushi, enjoying the view from a roof deck, snuggling with doggies, eating a slice of pizza as big as my head followed by ice cream on the boardwalk, and taking long walks everywhere. I've just noticed that every other thing that I loved doing involved food. What can I say? I love food :)

My ode to the visit could go on and on. As a blogger, in the back of my mind there is often a thought that I could/should be documenting the interesting things around me. Even though I cannot categorise myself as a tourist, I still love seeing the city through the eyes of one. It's even better when you come across something new yourself. This something for me was the High Line.

Raised above the streets of NYC on a discontinued freight rail line is the beautiful park known as the High Line. It spans 19 streets from Gansevoort to 30th street between 10th and 11th Avenue. 

We took the lift up at the 23rd street entrance, walked uptown, and then went all the way back down again. These are some of the things we saw on our stroll.



You can still see the original tracks in some areas through the beautiful green foliage.



We could not help but admire the various works of art.



Deciding to have a little rest on the way, we stopped to enjoy very tasty gelato from L'Arte del Gelato and people watched.



Just one of the many great views from the High Line while facing east. On the other side and just over the West Side Highway is the Hudson River. Here I am on the phone with bestie Marina (gallerygirls.blogspot.com) before she rode over on her bicycle.

For more information about the High Line, check out their site thehighline.org. It is defintely a place you must visit in NYC!

Great times were had all around and I cannot wait to go back and see everyone again!

P.S. I was told that my Brooklyn accent was very thick yesterday haha. Love it!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like such a cool place, the pictures are amazing :)

    http://fashionfake.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is such a perfect place to go read or just people watch.

      Delete